Polices and procedures
A quality family literacy program has policies and procedures to ensure
everyone involved in the program is supported in meaningful ways,
and that a safe and welcoming learning environment is established.
Ask yourself how these statements apply to your program.
Our family literacy program/agency…
- has defined administrative and personnel policies for staff, board members,
advisors, and volunteers so that everyone’s role is clear and all aspects of the
program may run smoothly.
- develops appropriate new policies as required when introducing a new
program, (such as about the maintenance of toys or not allowing peanut
products on site).
- has developed policies about the participatory process of involving program
participants from the program planning stage through delivery to the
- has developed clear policies around charging any fees, and asking for
payment for lost or damaged materials.
- specifi es qualifications that are appropriate for all staff positions, and
provides written job descriptions, contracts or agreements, and fair wages.
- requires commitments from all volunteers in the form of written contracts
that are discussed, signed and reviewed.
- is committed to providing ongoing support and professional development
opportunities to both staff and volunteers.
- keeps abreast of any relevant government policies and regulations (including
the Child Care Act and Occupational Health and Safety) and regularly reviews
them to ensure that everyone understands how these policies affect our
- ensures that all staff and volunteers involved have undergone police checks
and understand issues and responsibilities around witnessing and reporting
- provides realistic time frames and appropriate tools or materials for data
collection, record keeping and overall program management.
- ensures that all financial records are kept up-to-date and accurate.
- has a policy assuring program participants that all records regarding their
personal lives, assessments and progress are kept confi dential, and uses
signed consent forms to establish an atmosphere of safety, trust and respect.
- provides regular reports to participants, volunteers, the board and funders.
- carries adequate liability insurance.