Description1. Tell the students that they are about to begin a unit on employment and that for the duration of the unit, coming to classes will be their "job."
2. Set up a time clock for the students to sign in when they arrive and sign out when they leave and discuss coffee break and lunch break times (you may want to refer to the labour laws).
3. Inform the students that, at the end of the unit, they will be paid for their work. At the Samaritan House Training Centre, we have a Samaritan Silver program in which the students earn silvers (a coin-looking paper disc, photocopied onto gray paper) that they may use to purchase their coffee, juice, or other available treats.
4. At this point, the teacher may want to refer to the goal setting assignment in the Ourselves Unit (particularly the career and perhaps education pieces).
5. The teacher will cut the blackline master entitled, Business-Like Attitudes and Behaviours, into the indicated parts
6 The teacher will place the cut strips of attitudes and behaviours into one envelope and the definitions into the other envelope (each group will need a set). Have the students remove the strips from the envelopes and match the attitudes and behaviours to the definitions.
7 Once all of the groups have completed the task, discuss the results, as one group.
Sub-skills Needed:1. Co-operative learning strategies
2. Discussion strategies
Materials Needed1. Copies of the blackline master entitled, Business-Like Attitudes and Behaviours, cut into the appropriate strips - one for each group
2. Two envelopes per group in which to place the different sets of strips
The students will create a chart stating the business-like attitude or behaviour on one side and the definition of the attitude or behaviour on the other. The students should also include a title for the assignment at the top of the page.
See Computer Curriculum Guide:Start Microsoft Word Section One, Pg. 1
Enter Text in a Document Section One, Pg. 11
Apply Bold, Italic or Underline Section Two, Pg. 5
Check Spelling and Grammar Section One, Pg. 18
Change Font, Font Sizes, and Colours Section Two, Pg. 15
Tables Section Six, Pg. 1
Columns Section Five, Pg. 2
Bullets Section Two, Pg. 28
Save a Document Section One, Pg. 13
Preview and Print a Document Section One, Pg. 14
EvaluationGroup Work Rubrics and Checklists