1. For this assignment, the students will choose a company for which they think they would like to work. The students will work on this assignment individually.
2. Using the Internet, the library, the local chamber of commerce, pamphlets and information from the company, a company employee, or any other source, the students will find answers to the following prompts:
3. The students will use the blackline master entitled Company Research on which to record their findings. Note that, if your centre is located in a small town, a number of students may choose to research the same company. The teacher may then want to break the class into small groups to do the research.
4. Once the research has been completed, have the students present their findings to the class. This should be a presentation using visual aids such as flip charts or the overhead projector. In the presentation each student (or group of students) should inform the class how they got their information.
Sub-Skills Needed:1. Co-operative learning strategies
2. Research strategies
3. Speaking strategies
Materials Needed1. Copies of the blackline master entitled Company Research - one for each student or group of Students
2. Flip chart paper or blank overhead sheets for visual aid creation
The students will create their own charts to record their research using the table feature in the word processing program.
They will also use some of the creative features in the program to assist them in creating their visual aids for the presentation. If the centre has an inkjet copier, the teacher may want to provide overheads for the students to print their materials. Not just any overhead film will do! There is special overhead film that must be purchased for printers.
Finally, the students will use the word processing program to create their speaking notes for the presentation. The students may choose to use different font styles or colours or different bullet types to separate the different points in their introductions. If the students prefer speaking from index cards, they may wish to size their notes to paste onto the cards. Otherwise, they may use the printed 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.
See Computer Curriculum Guide:Start Microsoft Word Section One, Pg. 1
Enter Text in a Document Section One, Pg. 11
Apply Bold, Italic or Underline Section Two, Pg. 5
Check Spelling and Grammar Section One, Pg. 18
Change Font, Font Sizes, and Colours Section Two, Pg. 15
Tables Section Six, Pg. 1
Save a Document Section One, Pg. 13
Preview and Print a Document Section One, Pg. 14
EvaluationGroup Work Rubrics and Checklists