Introductions and goal setting
Training objectives of module:
- To ensure tutors get to know each other
- To identify the learning goals of the workshop participants
- To set the stage for the workshop
Time: 15 minutes
- Flipchart paper with title “What would you like to learn/discuss today?”
Step One – Introductions
Start your introductions by highlighting the goals and the vision of your homework club. Then, ask the tutors to introduce themselves by either:
- Asking the tutors to state their name and why they want to volunteer
- Grouping the volunteers into pairs and asking everyone to interview and introduce his or her partner to the group
- Using an ice breaker e.g., asking what book they are currently reading, their favourite children’s story, etc.
Step Two – Goal setting
Review the agenda and the goals of the workshop. Ask the tutors to tell you what they would like to discuss and learn about in this workshop and if they have any questions. Record and post their responses. Revisit these responses at the end to ensure that everything was covered.
Step Three – Housekeeping
Tell the tutors about the location of the telephones, washrooms, where food will be served, etc.