A. PARENT LEARNING
- Welcome and introductions
- Play the name game from lesson 1 to re-introduce parents and new participants. Have each
parent say their name and what they bought.
Then have the next person repeat it. Parents who have English as their
second language may have difficulty with this so do not force them to remember the other
- Name game (My name is…..I went to market and bought an ….(apple) or whatever item
you wish). Have each parent say their name and what they bought. Then have the next
person repeat it. Parents who have English as their second language may have
difficulty with this so do not force them to remember the other parents’ names.
- Review holistic literacy definition and 3 key messages
- Have parents share family photos or objects brought from home and discuss with the group
- Ask parents how their children found colouring, sticking pictures or placing stickers on the number
sheet as a homework activity? Difficult? Fun? What did they enjoy about it?
- Focus is key message 1 - Read with your child daily
What is multi-sensory learning and its importance/Importance of memory/How to read with your child
Multi-sensory learning uses all the senses including hearing, sight, touch, taste, and smell to help with
learning. Everything we know is learned by using our five senses. During a child’s first five years,
everything they experience is new. These experiences eventually become “prior knowledge” that
helps the child to learn even more things. As adults, they have a lot of prior knowledge. As a person
working with families, the family literacy facilitator must build on the strength of that prior knowledge.
For example, a family who has more than one language, often has different cultural practices and
foods they eat. As a facilitator, if you notice a family with multiple languages, encourage them to
continue speaking as many languages as possible with their child.
Working with Others
game with adjectives
instead of food.
Play kit/tray memory
game using the
sense of vision only.
additional senses and
compare accuracy —
use 10 objects from
the theme kit. Then
use an additional 10