What's the matter?
To identify and describe common health problems.
To ask and respond to questions about health.
- Save medicine packages for reviewing common
- Talk with learners about possible rules regarding
sickness and school/daycare attendance.
- Talk with learners about the availability of common
- Inform learners about the Health Interpreter
program. Specially trained health interpreters can
accompany newcomers to the doctor and act as
interpreters. For more information call (902) 425-
- If learners don't have a family doctor, encourage
them to find one.
- Introduce the abbreviation for teaspoon (tsp).
Some medicine packages use teaspoon and some
1 tsp = 5 ml
1½ tsp= 7½ ml
2 tsp= 10 ml
2½ tsp= 12½ ml
3 tsp = 15 ml
- Visit the clinic.
- Look at learners' health cards. Identify the information
on it to your learners. Review when you need your Health
- Collect common medicine packages for the health
problems introduced in this chapter (e.g. cough
medicine, sore throat medicine, etc.) Look at the
labels and identify the words learned in this chapter.