Make the event
monthly and ask the local band office,
- Find a space in the community to
hold the event. (school, band office, nursing station, library, community
- Advertise the Word Bingo at
least one week before the event. Word bingo is a great activity for the whole
family. Put posters up around the community, advertise on the local radio
station, or green screen and hand out invitations at the school. Tell
everyone about it! Posters and invitations are included in this
- Have prizes for the people who
win the bingo! (books, pencils, writing paper, pens, erasers) Give the NWT
Literacy Council a call and we can send you some books!!!!
- When people arrive - make sure
all players have a marker and one bingo sheet.
- Put all the words in a hat and
draw the words out one at a time. Have children guess what the picture is by
giving them a clue. For example if the picture is a hat ask them what you wear
on your head.
- Choose any of the following for
your Bingo: One line, two lines, four corners, L shape, black out. Play at
least four bingos for each card.
- Have winners choose a prize and
encourage those that win twice to give a prize to a friend.
- Have a snack at the end of the
evening and ask players if they enjoyed themselves and if they would like to
play again sometime.
- Ask the local paper to come to
your event and do a story about Family Literacy.
- Thank your sponsors at your
event and by writing them a letter.
- Make up your own Literacy Bingo
game with the blank bingo card attached.
Co-op, Northern or a local
for donations of prizes.