Play At Mealtimes
You can teach your child while you prepare for meal time.
Your child can learn many new words as she listens to you and watches what you do. Here are some things you can do that are
all part of what you do during the day.
- Say what you are doing. For example, if it is lunch time, say you are making lunch. Talk about the different meal
times. Name and point at all the things you will have to eat. You can even show how to eat certain foods, such as
peeling a banana before you eat it.
- Talk about why you need to eat proper foods. Your child needs energy to learn, and healthy brains help to
learn better. When your child is healthy, she will not miss school, and will be able to keep up with her class in
learning. Your child will also learn good eating habits.
- Set the table and have your child help you. Talk about the things you need to have your meal, such as plates, cups,
glasses, spoons, and other items. Show your child how to set these on the table. Talk about the right and left side.
- Give your child some paper and crayons and let her draw pictures of food.
- Explain what you are doing. Explain what a recipe means. If your child is old enough, she could help to read the
directions. Show her how to do this. It is a fun way to practice reading and to learn new words.