The Keith Crane Case
PART ONE: Crimes and Consequences
Questions for Discussion
1.1 The Arrest
- Where did Keith and Vern live?
- Estimate how much Keith drank before seeing the police.
- Why didn't Keith resist the police officer who grabbed him?
1.2. The Incident in the Lockup
- Why did Keith want to call his friends?
- Do you think the warders could hear Keith when he called out?
- What happened after Keith asked for the name of the arresting officer?
- Why did Keith sign the form with his left hand?
- What did Vernon Haynes do when Keith got home?
1.3 Taking Legal Action
- What galled Keith the most about the night he was arrested?
- Why did Keith think that making a complaint to the police might
not be worth the effort?
- How are the Human Rights Association and the Human Rights Commission
- How was it possible that the Human Rights Commission might reject
- If the RNC did not press charges against its own officers, what
other option did Keith have?
1.4. The System Responds
- Why do you think Keith went public?
- What important issue did Keith bring into public view?
- Why did the RNC start two separate investigations based on Keith's
- What did Keith want the police department to have?
1.5. The Appeal
- What reason did the RNC give for not pressing charges against its
- What was Keith afraid might happen if the problem of police homophobia
was not looked into?
- What emotional scars did Keith have from the night he was arrested?