Gerry Rubia and the 'Longside Club:
Step to the Music that You Hear
Questions for Discussion
- What were the first signs of Gerry's illness? What is it called?
- How long did Gerry have to stay in the hospital?
Early Days and Life in a Hospital
- What were Gerry's parents doing in the United States in 1929?
- What grade was Gerry in when her leg started to act up?
- Describe how osteomyelitis affected Gerry. What did the doctors
do to help her?
- What was Gerry's attitude toward the disease?
- Did the lack of a normal childhood depress Gerry? How would you
feel if you were forced to spend that long a time in hospital?
- How did Gerry occupy her time in the hospital?
- How did Gerry get around once she had been released from the hospital?
- Why did Gerry decide to have her leg amputated? Was this a good
idea? Would you have made the same decision?
Education and Writing
- How did Gerry manage to complete high school?
- What kind of course did Gerry apply for when she was 13?
- Who wrote
"The Valleys of Kilbride"?
- Describe one of Gerry's early jobs that she liked.
- Which of Gerry's talents came in handy for some of her jobs? How?
- Gerry finally took a job that she kept for 30 years. What was it?