The Governor’s Mansion is a period house which can be seen in Nelson. It is not known for sure when this house was built. Father Mersereau, the present owner believes it was built around 1850.
The Honorable J. Leonard O’Brien (1895-1973) lived in the Governor’s Mansion. He was the Lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick from 1956 to 1966. Many important people stayed here during this time. Such people as Canada’s Governor-general and Lord Beaverbrook were guests there.
The O’Brien House was bought by Father Mersereau in 1974. There were a number of antiques in the house. These antiques were bought by Historical Resources. Some of the antiques can now be seen at the W.S. Loggie Cultural Center in Chatham. Others were taken to Government House in Fredericton.
Father Mersereau put his own antiques in the house. The house is now open for people to see. It has an English Country Inn and a museum.