The Old Manse Library is housed in a beautiful home built in 1877. It was first owned by William Watt. In 1879, it was sold to the Presbyterian Church as a home for the minister. In March of 1880, Reverend William Aitken, his wife and six children came to live there. One of these children grew up to become Max Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook.
In 1902, Rev. Aitken retired and the family moved. Over the years people from the Aitken family lived in the house. Lord Beaverbrook sold the house in 1950.
The house opened as “The Old Manse Library” in 1953. It has been restored under the direction of Miss Louise Manny. Care was taken to see that the house was changed as little as possible. Lord Beaverbrook sent many books from England.
The Old Manse Library still stands today. Its many rooms are filled with books. The beauty of the old house has been kept for all to see. It is a good place to spend a pleasant afternoon reading.
These are just a few examples of the fine buildings still to be found on the Miramichi. It is important that our history be kept alive through these buildings and homes.