The Williston House is a stone building that was built in 1820. It is believed to be the oldest building in Chatham. Many homes were built of stone then so they would last a long time. It was built by Andrew Currie. He was a well-known builder at that time. The building was made of Scottish Stone.
The first owner of this stone building was J.T. Williston. He had studied law. Mr. Williston was also important in New Brunswick political life. He was elected to the House of Assembly in Fredericton in 1842 and again in 1850.
After Willistonís death the large stone house was bought in 1956 by William Muirhead. Muirhead later sold the building to the Canadian Government. The government spent about twelve thousand dollars to change it from a home into public offices. The building housed the Chatham Post Office, the Customs Office, and the Dominion Savings Bank from 1874 to 1891.
Williston House was damaged in a fire in 1891. It was at this time that the Canadian Government decided to build a new Chatham Post Office on Water Street. This building now houses the Motor Vehicle Branch.