The Rankin House is found in the center of the village of Douglastown. It was built in 1837 by Alexander Rankin. Rankinís first home had burned down in 1837 and he decided to rebuild at the same place.
Alexander Rankin was the founder of Douglastown. He arrived on the Miramichi in 1812 and soon became powerful in business. Rankinís first home was one of the few that did not burn in the Great Miramichi Fire in 1825. The Indians on the Miramichi believed that because Rankin was so fair and kind to everyone, his home did not burn.
The second Rankin House was built facing the Miramichi River. This was because most trade and travel was by waterway in those days. There were many parties held at the Rankin House in the 1840ís and 1850ís. Important people visiting the Miramichi often stayed there overnight.
The main entry of the Rankin House was very beautiful. This entry was later removed when the Rankin House became the Douglastown Elementary School. This entry was replaced when the building was restored in the 1980ís.
The stone gate at the back of the grounds faced the main road through Douglastown. It was made by John Norman of Douglsastown. This gate is now at the entryway to the Enclosure. The Enclosure is a park found a few miles outside Newcastle.