Essential Skills are basic skills that make it possible to learn all others.
They help people participate fully in the workplace and in the community.
- Reading Text
- Document Use
- Oral Communication
- Working with Others
- Thinking Skills
- Computer Use
- Continuous Learning
Using Essential Skills can help:
- students and workers explore skills needed for various occupations.
- parents build children's confidence.
- teachers show students that what they are learning relates to the
demands of the workplace.
- career counsellors help clients look at career options.
- curriculum developers and trainers bring workplace experiences to the classroom.
- employers develop job descriptions and training programs or decide
what skills to look for when hiring.
This Special Edition Newsletter
is published by
Tel: 902 368-3620
A special thank you to:
- Holland College Adult and Community Education
- The Guardian Newspapers in Education Program
- Adult Learning Knowledge Centre, an
initiative of the Canadian Council on