The governor was successful and the construction of the lighthouse was started in 1827. On November 28, 1831, the lighthouse's beacon was lit for the first time. On that same night, Mary Hichens gave birth to her daughter, Sarah.
Richard Hichens and Edmund Crowell tended the lighthouse for 6 months at a time over 24 years. The lighthouse has saved many lives. Many of Mary Hichens' descendants operated the lighthouse until it became automated in 1990.
In 1978, the old lantern in the lighthouse was replaced with a newer model. Because of local petitions, the lantern was donated to the Municipality of Barrington where there is now a replica of the lighthouse.
|Previous Page||Contents||Next Page|