Session 1: Understanding the Context
The objectives of this session are:
- To introduce the tutor trainees to the program
- To examine tutor trainee reasons for participating and the
qualities that will make them effective tutors
- To familiarize tutor trainees with the adult ESL learner
- To discuss factors that may affect the adult ESL learner
- To introduce general strategies to help motivate the adult ESL learner
Overview of the Program/Session
Make the environment as comfortable as possible. Ensure that
people are sitting close to each other and not at the back of the room.
- Show any overheads that are pertinent to your program, i.e.
a list of expectations, a job description, etc.
- Show overhead, An Overview of the Tutor Training Program.
- Show overhead, An Overview of Session 1.
- Icebreaker Activity: You can do your own activity or try
one of the following exercises below.
Icebreaker Option 1
Divide the room into pairs and have the participants interview
a partner to get the following information:
- Where she is from
- Places traveled and an interesting cultural fact about that place
- Places she would like to travel
- Reasons why she wants to be a tutor
- Something unusual
When the entire group rejoins, ask each participant
to introduce her partner to the group.
- Introduce yourself last. Take a moment to reiterate
the reasons the participants stated for becoming tutors and add some more general
ideas of your own.
- Highlight other reasons for tutoring as noted in the manual. 50 minutes