Healthy lunches can make your children's school day both
enjoyable and productive. The cost of providing these lunches can be quite
expensive. The costs will vary depending on the eating habits of your children.
While many schools provide a healthy lunch at a reasonable cost, making your
own lunches at home may be less expensive.
The school lunch program offers meals at $2.00 per day. Answer
the following questions.
- How much will these lunches cost on a weekly
- If there are 20 school days in the average month, how much
will lunches cost on a monthly basis?
- Most children attend class approximately 190 days a year.
What would be the total cost for school lunches throughout the year?
You have two children attending school. They stay to lunch each
day. You make your own lunches at home.
Answer the following questions.
- Each week when you grocery shop you spend approximately
$16.00 on lunch items. What is the average cost per child for weekly lunches
assuming your children attend school five days per week?
- If you would have to pay $2.00 per day for each child, what
is the actual saving involved in making your own lunches?
- Using the information in questions one and two, what would be
the combined costs of weekly lunches if your children decide to have lunch in
the school cafeteria two days per week?
Many times grocery stores have specials when you buy in bulk.
Check out the best buys in this activity. Answer the following questions.
- Juice boxes are regularly 19¢ cents each. This week you
can buy a case of 12 juice boxes for $5.99. How much money will you save by
buying the case of 12 juice boxes?
- Your children love to have hotdogs for lunch. An eight pack
of wieners cost $2.49. A pack of 8 buns sell for 99¢. How much will each
hotdog cost if you make your own?
- Hotdogs are available in the cafeteria for 15¢ each. How
much will you save if you provide your own?
Which are the best buys. Underline your answer.
- Juice boxes at 39¢ each or three for $1.00
- Eight hotdog buns at 99¢ or $1.19 for a dozen.
- Apples at 55¢ each or $3.99 a dozen.
The following problems cannot be solved. Can you figure out
- Oranges are on sale for $3.99 a dozen. You can also buy them
for $5.00 per kilogram. Which is the best buy?
- One hundred milliliter juice boxes are on sale for 39¢
each. You have found that you get a better buy by buying the large containers
at $2.49 and filling them up with your own one hundred milliliter containers.
How much money do you save per container?
- All of your children stay in school for lunch. Each lunch
costs $2.00. What is your total cost per week?