4. Developing and Implementing a Literacy Program
How do you turn your organization into one that answers the needs of
people with low literacy skills? You need the following:
- the support and commitment of the people at the top
- a clear understanding of how the tribunal operates
- knowledge of who your clients are
- a strong plan
- communications that are as clear as possible
- trained tribunal staff and members who make the process
easier for clients
- ways to evaluate the program and monitor it on an on-going
These steps will start you off on developing a literacy program. However,
because administrative tribunals vary a lot, you will have to adapt
what follows to your particular tribunal and to the needs of your clients.
Step 1. Organization audit
- What is your mandate?
- Who do you serve?
Step 2. Client/participant literacy audit
- Who are your clients/participants?
- What are their literacy needs?
Step 3. Planning the literacy program
- Is there senior management commitment?
- Is there an action plan?