The Committee recommends to the Ministry of Education that:
- The ministry affirm the local economic development activities
of the public educational institutions and the mandate for community access to
- The Ministry promote the public educational institutions'
non-traditional role (non classroom-based activity) in local communities by
changing the finance formula in ways to give recognition to and allow for
flexible programming responses to meet specific needs of individuals and groups
involved in local economic development,
- The Ministry of Education approach other Ministries to
outline the concepts and practices detailed in this report with the objectives
- seeking interdepartmental recognition for public
educational institutions' roles as creative working partners in the current
strategy for provincial economic renewal and employment creation; and
- creating a funding category for local Economic
Development from which public educational institutions might draw funds for
innovative collaborative projects that would enhance institutional capacity to
serve local economic development objectives.
- The Ministry establish a consultative committee whose
function would be to:
- prepare specific elements, criteria and categories for
incorporation into the finance formula as suggested in these recommendations;
- prepare a detailed prospectus for the Local Economic
Development Fund as suggested in these recommendations.