- Establish the purpose and reason(s) for proceeding with a
project of this nature
- Become aware of the key contacts within the region.
- Make personal contact with program administrators, providing
information about the project goals and objectives.
- Utilize this opportunity to gather issues by sector
- Market the project and benefits of participation in focus
- Use a random polling/ informal sampling of the issues with
some of the key staff/volunteers. Utilize this opportunity to gather issues by
type of position held, i.e. administrator, support worker, literacy
- Evaluate effectiveness of informal sampling and personal
- Prepare for the focus groups by developing questions and a
format for focus groups.
- Decide the most effective method of bringing people together
(regionally, locally, by sector, or combined).
- Facilitate focus groups to further establish key issues.
- Compile and summarize initial key findings.
- Evaluate effectiveness of focus groups and make
recommendations for further development.
- Determine possible co-sponsors of a workshop and meet with
them to explore the possibility of partnership.
- Arrange workshop/speakers on the topic of providing literacy
training and support to adults with a developmental disability.
- Arrange location for the workshop.
- Market workshop to both literacy and developmental service
- Offer a workshop for participants to come together to network
- Evaluate effectiveness of workshop.
Solutions, and Results
- Facilitate joint brainstorming session to clarify issues,
develop solutions and promote partnerships.
- Validate the issues before prioritizing.
- Ensure participants prioritize the issues.
- Summarize and present the issues and allow for solutions to
- Decide on means to reach target audience to achieve most
"buy-in" and commitment to the solutions by participants.
- Provide a follow-up procedure to ensure that action is being
taken and a timeline to monitor progress.
- Evaluate effectiveness of Issue Clarification and Solution
- Summarize findings and make final recommendations.