|Objective A: Learners will identify
characteristic features of fiction in excerpts from novels, short
stories, and plays as they reveal meaning.
- Point of view
- Tone, mood
- Metaphors, similes
|Objective B: Learners will identify key marks
of punctuation used in drama.
- Character's name followed by colon
- Stage directions and asides placed in parentheses or brackets
- Use of dash to signify interruption by another character
|Objective C: Learners will identify the
special characteristics of poetry.
- Figurative language
- Comparison by analogy
- Imagery and symbols
|Objective D: Learners will identify
characteristic features of non-fiction in excerpts from journals,
essays, biographies, dialogue, newspapers, and periodicals.
- Writing based on real experiences
- Writing that expresses feelings, thoughts, attitudes, values,
opinions, ideas, and information
|Objective E: Learners will identify
characteristic features of comments, criticisms, or reviews about the
- Commentary that expresses personal point of view
- Commentary that includes information and description