|Objective B (continued): Learners will
increase awareness of similarities and differences between own cultures
and U.S. customs and conventions, and among various cultures represented
in the classroom or in the news.
- Discuss cultural values and concerns about their children
becoming Americanized, i.e., food, music, first language use,
attitude toward authority, etc.
- Become aware through the news media of cultural events in the
- Identify facts, opinions, biases and values on television, radio,
and print media in news and entertainment, i.e., human rights, the
aged, death penalty, gender roles, etc.
- Know about and function in U.S. systems, e.g., education, legal,
transportation, and social services.
- Understand how to use positive techniques for resolving
- Understand how people with differing cultural and ethnic
backgrounds behave in various situations, e.g., work, public places,