Conduct a preliminary program assessment.
- Assess existing services, including volunteer, within the
- Assess the facilitys population, noting inmates in
need of literacy services who are also parents of young children.
- Poll educational and correctional staff to determine
interest in family literacy project.
- Assess space availability for family literacy program and
for storage of materials.
- Assess existing equipment (telephone, fax, computer, email,
software, printer, etc.).
Develop a budget.
- Assess funding streams (see Funding section).
- Work with existing programs and build on their momentum.
- Gain financial support from facility and outside
Address procedural details.
- Evaluate existing program schedule.
- Evaluate visitation schedule.
- Establish a timeline with the facility.
- Establish referral procedure.
- Establish criteria for program participation.
- Establish program calendar of events.
- Establish procedure for parent/child interaction (including
permission to contact outside caregiver, transportation to and from the
facility, alternative methods of interaction, release of information/pictures).
- Procure space.
- Develop necessary forms (see Appendix D).
Develop and implement a marketing plan.
- Meet with facility administrators/staff and program staff
to develop a marketing plan.
- Review the Marketing section of this document.
- Create a fact sheet, brochure, flier, etc.