Appendix B: Interview Questions
- What is known about literacy work through research in your province/territory/jurisdiction with respect to:
- paid workers versus volunteers
- literacy workers in different sectors—community-based, school board,
- length of time literacy workers stay in the field—why they stay, why they
- unionized versus non-unionized workers
- demographics of paid literacy workers and volunteers—age, gender,
- pay rates for literacy workers
- sources of funding and funding allocations (e.g., % on admin, salaries,
- types of programs offered (1-2-1, small group, classroom) and hours of
- types of literacy workers: program managers, instructors, information
and referral, assessment (direct service delivery versus service support)
- professional development received by literacy workers (frequency of
opportunity, type, paid or unpaid)
- overall working conditions—real hours of work, benefits, latest increase,
work load, number of students, etc.
- impact of working condition (positive and negative) on the lives of
- Can you refer me to research reports or statistics that focus on these areas?
How abundant are these research reports?
- Is this knowledge formalized through research reports or mostly informal?
- What organizations are focusing on research related to the literacy sector?
- What are the most important findings to date from research on the literacy
- What models of professionalism and certification from other fields would be
useful to explore for the literacy field? What are the pros and cons of
certification and professionalism?
- What are the most serious gaps in knowledge about the literacy sector that
you would like to see explored in a comprehensive sector research study?
What questions should be asked?
- What would be the most effective way to design and carry out this type of
sector research so that it reflects the knowledge of the literacy community but
also pays attention to current political realities?
- What minefields, if any, should MCL be wary of when moving on to design the
proposal for the sector study?