Childcare and Transportation
- childcare - need more, every day
- childcare is an issue - not long enough or at the right times
- the daycare should be open more often and be available to more people
- daycare - those who have a job are caught in a Catch-22, because the more
money they make, the more gets deducted for childcare, so the learner never
ends up on top
- need more $ - better training for workers, childcare and transportation
- does not apply to me but I believe more childcare services are required
- need for more childcare
- need funds for transportation
- need more transportation tokens
- not enough computers available for the learners
- need more computers, desks, and organizing time
- seriously need more space for learners, for storage, computer access, etc.
- to have computers for students who want to study math or English.
- need more computer/Internet access
- computer, Internet - need easy access
- more computers
- paid before for attending the program; not now
- more job opportunities for learners are needed
- finances - need more support while in literacy program
- many students have no financial support - yet they are hoping for their
independence by going through literacy. How can this be solved?
- Id like to see more traditional teachings (more Native cultural
- need more reference material and resources
- more Native books
Literacy practitioners were asked nine survey questions regarding funding
and financial issues. In response to How are most of your learners
financially able to support themselves while in a literacy program?
most practitioners indicated that most learners survived on some form of social
assistance while they attended the program, such as disability benefits or
welfare. Few learners received EI while participating in a literacy program.
The next source of learner income was money received from the band/reserve, if
the learner is a status Indian. The third major grouping listed was their
Is financial support for your program enough to suit the
learners needs? Seventy-three per cent of practitioners -8 out
of 11- said no, others added:
- money is needed for instruction and childcare
- need more accessible funding
- need continuity of funding
- need permanent position, not short contract positions
- could use a bit more financial support to upgrade the program to compete
with todays technology. However, the financial support we do receive is
enough to get by and the students are benefitting.