- It is recommended that a steering committee be formed, consisting of four
to sixteen representatives from the Toronto Aboriginal community, recruited and
selected from the four key sectors identified through medicine wheel teachings
as teachers, helpers, guides, and learners.
- It is recommended that the steering committee coordinate the continuation
of a community-wide visioning process that develops guiding principles, which
will then guide the development, design, and delivery of a five-year strategy
for Aboriginal learning programs in the Greater Toronto Area.
- It is recommended that the steering committee ensure that the foundation
of such a strategy is rooted in an Aboriginal culture base that meets
Aboriginal learners needs by facilitating Native ownership of Native
- It is recommended that the steering committee develop a project proposal,
including an activity and evaluation plan, with a budget guided by a community
vision that articulates the key elements to be addressed in the delivery and
development of Aboriginal learning programs.
- It is recommended that the steering committee conduct research into
Aboriginal culture-based learning and teaching models for the purposes of
designing a framework and creating, in consultation with the Toronto Native
community, an Aboriginal Learning Centre that meets the learning requirements
of Native learners.
- It is recommended that the steering committee pilot the Aboriginal
learning and teaching models in order to bring about the achievement of the
five-year strategy and action plan for Native learning as intended at the
outset of this project.
- It is recommended that the steering committee create a feasible action
plan that will assist with the evolution of the five-year strategy plan within
an Aboriginal culture-based framework that will sustain an holistic Aboriginal
- It is recommended that the learning approach empower Aboriginal learners
to develop an appreciation of the lifelong learning process as they develop the
knowledge and skills required in order to discern what the Creator has intended
Continued on next page...