The Workplace/Workforce Literacy Symposium Report
Session Seven: Report Back from the Sectors and
Each of the sector groups reported their top action steps to the full symposium.
- A partnership on workforce and workplace literacy has to involve everybody;
today has been a remarkable achievement.
- We need to facilitate a culture of lifelong learning involving government, business
and labour. Government has a role to educate and foster a culture of learning.
- Exploit the linkages and awareness of what is happening in our communities;
bring learning institutions together, and exploit opportunities in local
- Lobby government to strengthen its investment in learning and training, for
example, broad based infrastructure in the North for e-learning.
- Strengthen collaboration between the labour and literacy communities. The OLC
can help to foster these relationships.
- Promote free access to adult education.
- Develop a cross-sectoral working group.
- Lobby government for funding.
- The Ontario Federation of Labour should give priority to literacy and ESL.
- Need a literacy program in every workplace.
- Need a meeting to pull together stakeholders.
The group also pointed out that it did not want a Labour Market Development
Agreement for Ontario.