FREDERICTON, N.B. - The National Adult Literacy Database (NALD) has issued a call for nominations for its fourth annual NALD Innovative Technology Award.
NALD established the award in 2010 to bring greater visibility to an exemplary or innovative technology product, project or service that benefits the field of adult literacy and essential skills.
The award recognizes outstanding achievement in developing and implementing a technological initiative that contributes to the advancement of adult literacy and essential skills. Specifically, the product, project or service should promote, support and/or facilitate knowledge exchange within the adult literacy community.
Who can apply?
The award is open to Canadian citizens, residents, organizations, institutions, governments and companies.
What are the criteria?
The award submission must address a minimum of three of the following criteria to be considered complete:
- Benefit – Does the technological initiative improve educational practices and/or literacy and essential skills? Example: A digital or online resource that increases self-sufficiency for literacy and essential skills learners.
- Assistive Technology – Does the application of technology help to remove learning barriers? Example: An accommodation, such as a speech synthesizer, that enables literacy and essential skills learners to access text.
- Innovation – Does the initiative use a new or creative approach in addressing literacy and essential skills challenges? Example: A voice recognition system that is applied to an existing technology, enabling people with literacy and essential skills challenges to master an online learning environment.
- Capacity – Can the initiative be easily transferred and used in other jurisdictions? Example: An initiative, which has universal application, that begins to establish standards.
- Pedagogy – Is the service/project/product based on current adult learning pedagogy, theory and principles? Example: Does the project promote responsive instruction based on the participant’s needs?
- Accessibility – Can the service/project/product be easily obtained? Example: Is the initiative affordable and advertised on a website?
Submissions for the NALD Innovative Technology Award will be accepted until April 15, 2013.
For more information on the nomination process, view the nomination criteria document and the award application form, phone 1-800-720-NALD (6253) or write to email@example.com.
NALD will notify the successful candidate by May 15, 2013.
Tel: 506-462-5034 or toll-free: 1-800-720-6253