April 18, 2005
This week, we have a story written by Bernice Johnson, from Nanaimo, BC. Bernice is a single mother of two children, Jake (12) and Kayla (10). She is very proud that she can write stories in spite of her disability of cerebral palsy. Bernice started working with a tutor at Literacy Nanaimo two years ago. Her tutor is Alf and they work together twice a week. Bernice also attends Malaspina University-College where she is completing her second term of classes.
On Monday afternoon, ten year old Kayla wanted some Mr Noodles soup to eat. I made some for her and poured it into a bowl. It was very hot from the microwave. She was sitting in the chair with the bowl on her lap. I was standing at the kitchen sink and doing some dishes.
She started screaming! I went over to her to see what was wrong with her. The Mr. Noodles soup had slipped on her sweat pants. I took off her sweat pants. Then I went over to get a cloth, put it under water, and then put the cloth on her burn. The cloth was too warm and it began hurting her, so then I put another cloth with just cold water on her leg. Next I put some polysporin cream on the burn. Then I gave Kayla some Tylenol for the pain.
The next morning I had a look at the burn on her leg. It was starting to blister. She would not let me put a band-aid on it. We went downtown to the Doctor's office and went to nurse's station and the nurse had a look at the burn. Then the Doctor came in to look at Kayla's leg and the nurse put a dressing on it.
I made another appointment for Friday when the nurse changed the dressing. On half the burn the blister had popped open by itself. We have to go back and get it changed again this week.
There is a new rule in the house. We sit at the kitchen table to eat anything hot, like Mr. Noodle soup. We are being more careful. The accident happened so fast. Kayla's leg will be okay and will be better soon. Please be careful with any thing hot!